David M. Perlman, Partner
David Perlman is a partner in the energy practice in Bracewell & Giuliani's Washington, D.C. office. He represents and counsels clients before regulatory bodies such as the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), Commodity Futures Trading Commission and state public utility commissions in regulatory and compliance matters, in the conduct of compliance programs and training, and in energy-related transactions and financings.
Mr. Perlman represents a variety of clients, including utilities, commodities merchants, marketers, industrial customers, generators, lenders, financial institutions, gas producers and others.
Prior to joining Bracewell, Mr. Perlman was Chief Counsel to Lehman Brothers Commodities business in New York, where he was responsible for legal, transactional and regulatory matters relating to the firm's physical and derivative commodity businesses. Before this, he was a partner in the energy practice at a major law firm in Washington, D.C.
Mr. Perlman served for two years as Senior Legal Advisor at FERC, where he provided advice regarding significant and complex legal, regulatory policy and legislative issues coming before the Commission. These included matters related to Regional Transmission Organizations (RTO)/Independent System Operators (ISO), gas and electric market oversight, market-based rates and transmission.
Before his government service, Mr. Perlman was counsel to the Constellation Energy Group for 18 years, where he was General Counsel of its merchant and trading businesses and ultimately served as Chief Energy Counsel. He began his career as an attorney at FERC.
- Bracewell & Giuliani LLP
Articles in the National Law Review database by David M. Perlman:
- Beginning October 12th All Book-Outs Must Be Confirmed To Avoid CFTC Regulation (Posted On Wed, 2012-10-24 07:08)
- PJM Internal Bilateral Transactions – What Is Going On? (Posted On Tue, 2012-07-24 17:06)
- UPDATE: PJM Interconnection "PJM" Provides Its View (Posted On Sat, 2012-06-16 21:49)
- Internal Bilateral Transactions: Regulatory Risk & Confusion Reign (Posted On Fri, 2012-06-08 13:26)
- Companies File Rehearing Requests on PJM Western Hub IBT Issue (Posted On Thu, 2012-04-19 09:17)
- FERC Order Appears to Find Most PJM Internal Bilateral Transactions Improper (Posted On Mon, 2012-03-19 16:16)
- CFTC Regulation of Hedge Funds to Increase - Final Rules Adopted (Posted On Thu, 2012-03-15 03:25)
- Contractual Rights Vanish Again in the "Bermuda" of Triangular Setoff (Posted On Sat, 2011-10-08 00:02)
- FERC Punts on Generators' Appeals of NERC Registrations (Posted On Thu, 2011-06-23 02:02)
- CFTC Proposes a Swap Product Definition and Capital Requirements Under Dodd-Frank (Posted On Thu, 2011-05-12 01:15)
- CFTC & Fed Propose Margin Rules Under Dodd-Frank: Banks To Be Barred from Accepting Non Cash Collateral (Posted On Thu, 2011-04-28 03:56)
- CFTC Proposes to Eliminate Certain Fund Exemptions and Extend Regulation of Commodity Pool Operators and Commodity Trading Advisors Under Dodd-Frank (Posted On Thu, 2011-03-17 08:50)
- Court Approves Disgorgement of Profits from Anticompetitive Behavior in Electricity Market (Posted On Fri, 2011-02-18 04:40)
- Commodity Futures Trading Commission "CFTC" Approves Position Limits Proposal for Derivatives (Posted On Mon, 2011-01-24 16:41)
- CFTC Proposes Definitions for "Swap Dealer" and "Major Swap Participant" (Posted On Tue, 2010-12-14 08:35)
- CFTC Proposes Anti-Manipulation Rules to Implement (Posted On Tue, 2010-11-09 12:48)
- FERC Introduces Tougher Rules on Credit Practices in Organized Electric Markets (Posted On Fri, 2010-10-22 12:04)
- CFTC to Address Requirements for Reporting of Pre-Enactment Swaps (Posted On Mon, 2010-09-27 10:15)
- CFTC Fines ConAgra $12 Million, Two Commissioners Dissent (Posted On Thu, 2010-08-26 10:54)
- CFTC Designates Four Additional Electricity Contracts as SPDCs (Posted On Fri, 2010-07-23 12:20)
- CFTC Finds Two Monthly Mid-C Electricity Contracts Are SPDCs (Posted On Sat, 2010-07-17 12:24)
- After the Supreme Court's Free Enterprise Fund Decision, Could NERC's Level of Autonomy Face a Constitutional Challenge? (Posted On Mon, 2010-07-05 09:24)
- FERC Proposes Significant Transmission Planning and Cost Allocation Reforms (Posted On Wed, 2010-06-23 13:51)
- Dodd-Lincoln Derivatives Regulation Bill Passes Senate - Issues Shifted to Conference (Posted On Wed, 2010-05-26 00:06)
- CFTC Designates Seven ICE Natural Gas Contracts as "Significant Price Discovery Contracts," Subjecting Them to Regulatory Oversight (Posted On Wed, 2010-05-12 02:00)