John D. LaBarbera
John D. LaBarbera is a member in Clark Hill’s Chicago office. He is co-chair in Clark Hill’s new Insurance and Reinsurance Practice Group, which will focus on representing client’s in all aspects of the insurance and reinsurance business, including claims counseling, litigation and arbitration, business transactions and tax matters, regulatory issues and government relations, and formation of captive insurers and risk retention groups. He represents insurers in all aspects of their business, including claims counseling, litigation, and dispute resolution. His practice includes the handling of issues involving commercial, primary, umbrella, excess and surplus lines, and reinsurance. John has tried to verdict and regularly advises clients with respect to bad faith, fraud, spoliation of evidence, and other extra-contractual matters. He is also co-editor of the Insurance Quarterly.
Prior to practicing law, John was employed with various insurers in both the health and life and property casualty industries most recently overseeing the handling and resolution of various pollution and toxic tort matters, as well as various matters relating to environmental coverage issues, including litigation, mediation and arbitration.
- Clark Hill PLC
Articles in the National Law Review database by John D. LaBarbera:
- SUPREME COURT OF MISSOURI RULES STOPLOSS INSURERS LIABLE FOR DIRECT PREMIUM TAX UNDER SECTION 148.340 OF THE MISSOURI REVISED STATUTES (Posted On Thu, 2009-09-17 09:03)
- TRANSAMERICA LIFE FOUND TO INFRINGE “BUSINESS METHOD PATENT” ON VARIABLE ANNUITIES (Posted On Wed, 2009-09-16 07:51)
- NEW YORK TRIAL COURT DENIES INSURED’S CLAIM FOR ATTORNEYS FEES AND COSTS PAID IN CONNECTION WITH THE SETTLEMENT OF PUBLIC INVESTIGATIONS FOR “MARKET TIMING” OF MUTUAL FUNDS (Posted On Mon, 2009-09-14 09:00)
- Liability Insurer And Self Insured Entity Reporting Requirements Under The Medicare, Medicaid and SCHIP Extension Act Of 2007 Near Implementation (Posted On Sun, 2009-09-13 21:05)
- DEPARTMENT OF TREASURY ANNOUNCES THE WHITE HOUSE'S PROPOSALS FOR FINANCIAL REGULATORY REFORM WHICH HAVE A SIGNIFICANT IMPACT ON THE REGULATION OF INSURANCE (Posted On Sat, 2009-09-12 22:00)
- ILLINOIS APPELLATE COURT AFFIRMS ANTI-SUIT INJUNCTION (Posted On Fri, 2009-09-11 09:54)
- United States Supreme Court Hears Oral Argument In Travelers Appeal Of Manville Related Liability (Posted On Fri, 2009-09-11 09:48)
- ILLINOIS TRIAL COURT RULES THAT INSURED FAILS TO PROVE EXHAUSTION OR IMPAIRMENT OF $41 MILLION IN PRIMARY COVERAGE RELATED TO UNDERLYING ASBESTOS BODILY INJURY SUITS (Posted On Thu, 2009-09-10 02:24)
- NAIC ADOPTS THE REINSURANCE REGULATORY MODERNIZATION PROPOSAL (Posted On Thu, 2009-09-10 02:10)
- WISCONSIN SUPREME COURT RULES ON NUMBER OF OCCURRENCES, ALLOCATION (Posted On Wed, 2009-09-09 09:55)
- NAIC ADOPTS MANDATORY REQUIREMENT THAT INSURERS DISCLOSE CLIMATE CHANGE RISK (Posted On Wed, 2009-09-09 09:40)