Board Leadership During COVID-19: A Conversation with Jamie Orlikoff [PODCAST]
Boards play a critical role in effectively overseeing hospitals and health systems, and their importance has been amplified during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. In addition to responding to the current governance and oversight challenges, the law also expects directors to exercise oversight over business resiliency planning. On this episode of the Governing Health podcast, Michael Peregrine and special guest Jamie Orlikoff, President of Orlikoff & Associates, Inc. and a national advisor on governance and leadership to the American Hospital Association, discuss the challenges facing healthcare board members during this generational crisis. This episode explores:
- The higher degree of diligence the law expects of boards during times of crisis and why boards should expect anything but "business as usual"
- What board members can do to add value to their organizations
- Three key metrics boards should monitor as their health system or hospital approaches the peak of the infection
- The board's role in exercising recovery oversight, developing a strategy of resilience and overseeing safety and quality during and post-COVID-19
- Interactions board members should avoid having with members of the management team during the crisis