September 18, 2021
- SEC and DOJ Bring Parallel Cases Alleging $8 Million Serial Insider-... by: Toby M. Galloway
- Iowa Supreme Court Examines Private Sector Drug-Free Workplaces... by: Christine Bestor Townsend and Jesse R. Dill
- The Future of Illinois Energy Policy: Renewable Energy Set to Expand by: John T. Dunlap and Nicholas R. Johnson
- China’s National People’s Congress Releases Translation of the... by: Aaron Wininger
- Puerto Rico Governor Issues Executive Orders Requiring COVID-19... by: Carlos G. Colόn-Machargo and Ethan G. Isaac
- How to Build a Long-Term Strategy for Your Law Firm by: Sarah Bottorff
September 17, 2021
- Critical Housing Bills Signed by Governor Newsom by: Caroline Guibert Chase and Amarveer Brar
- Senate Committee Holds Hearing on EPA Nominees for Assistant... by: Government Regulation
- Unintended Consequences of Wyden's Proposal to Change Tax... by: Joel D. Almquist and Stacy L. Fuller
- California Employment Law Notes: September 2021 by: Anthony J Oncidi
- Estate Tax Watch 2021: House Ways and Means Committee Proposal Lowers... by: Michael T. Clear and Veronica R.S. Bauer
- EPA Maui Interpretive Statement, We Hardly Knew Ye! by: Jeffrey R. Porter
- New FTC Rules Leave Contemporary NAD/NARB Questions Unanswered by: Matthew Hartzler
- Strike That! PAGA Claims Must be Manageable by: Charles S. Birenbaum and Tayanah C. Miller
- Beltway Buzz, September 17, 2021 by: James J. Plunkett
- Tax Reform Is Coming: What It Could Mean for You by: Max P. Biedermann
- Immigration Weekly Round-Up: Senate Introduces Path to Citizenship... by: William C. Menard
- New York’s COVID-19 Vaccination Law: the Latest on the ‘Key to NYC’ [... by: Kelly M. Cardin and Jessica R. Schild
- Obviousness Of Method Claim Requires Expectation of Success for... by: Courtenay C. Brinckerhoff
- The Proposed New EU Regulatory Regime for Artificial Intelligence (AI) by: Wolfgang A. Maschek and Rosa Barcelo
- EPA Will Not Enforce Key PIP (3:1) Rule Compliance Deadline Until 2022 by: Mark N. Duvall and Ryan J. Carra
- Enormous Changes to Estate Tax Planning May Be on the Horizon by: Luke Harriman
- The Rest of the Story: Update on Puma 'Roar Mark' Trademark... by: David Halberstadter
- SEC Fines App Annie and Its CEO for $10 Million in Connection with... by: Natalie A. Prescott
- Safer Federal Workforce Taskforce Issues Broad FAQ with Implications... by: Laura A. Mitchell and F. Christopher Chrisbens
- The 10 Commandments of Great Client Intake by: Sarah Bottorff
- Tax Proposals of the House Ways and Means Committee: Reconciliation... by: Wealth Preservation Practice Group
- You Received a Grand Jury Subpoena: What Now? by: Dr. Nick Oberheiden
- McDermottPlus Check-Up: September 17, 2021 by: Mara McDermott
- Turbulence Ahead for Boards: Boeing Chancery Court Ruling Increases... by: Adam Safwat and Kelly Hogan
- The Children's Advertising Review Unit Modernizes its Guidelines... by: Alexandra R. Caleca
- SEC Grants $11.5 Million in Awards to Two Whistleblowers by: Mary Jane Wilmoth
- Biden Administration’s COVID-19 Vaccine Initiative: Preparation. Not... by: Jeanine M. Gozdecki and Benjamin Perry
- Quite the TCPA Trio: Three New ATDS Cases May Have Just Titled the... by: Eric J. Troutman
- Environmental Disclosures: Considerations for Board Members by: Jacob H. Hupart and Megan N. Gates
- SAFE Banking Act of 2021: Where Are We on Cannabis Banking Change? by: Jennifer N. Le
- New York Employers Must Activate Hero Act Workplace Safety Plans by: Abigail M. Kagan and Christina S. Dumitrescu
- Labor Board General Counsel Mandates More Onerous Unfair Labor... by: Jonathan J. Spitz and Richard F. Vitarelli
- Vermont Files Climate Change Lawsuit Against Major Oil Companies by: Jacob H. Hupart
- Greater Diversity and Inclusion on Listed Company Boards: FCA... by: Chris Webber and Alex Villers
- EEOC Files First COVID-19 ADA Accommodation Suit by: Robert T. Dumbacher and Michael A. Pearlson
- A Trademark by Any Other Name: Why the UGG Brand Left Some... by: Jeanne Hamburg
- Congress Considering $700,000 OSHA Penalties by: Courtney M. Malveaux and Melanie L. Paul
- New York City to Require Food Delivery Services to Share Customer... by: Hunton Andrews Kurth’s Privacy and Cybersecurity
- 5 Times a CRM will Save Your Behind by: Jordan Ostroff
- None of Us Saw Them Stop the PTA Giveaway by: Daniele M. San Román and Jill K. MacAlpine, Ph.D.
- House Oversight Committee Investigating Climate Change Disinformation by: Jacob H. Hupart
- EPA Publishes Final Rule Extending PIP (3:1) Compliance Dates by: Lynn L. Bergeson and Carla N. Hutton
- A (Partial) Phasing Out of the Current Prohibitions on Presenting UK... by: Restructuring & Insolvency Practice at Squire Patton Boggs
- FDA Announces Food Traceability Challenge Winners by: Food and Drug Law at Keller and Heckman
- COVID-19: what next for UK employers, Part 2 by: David Whincup
- Ninth Circuit Decision Holds That California Law Addressing Mandatory... by: Michael S. Kun and David Prager
- Motion to Dismiss Filed in COVID Contact Tracing Data Breach Lawsuit by: Jesse Taylor and Kristin L. Bryan
- Mexico’s COVID-19 Traffic Light Monitoring System: News for September... by: Pietro Straulino-Rodriguez and O. Iván Andrade Castelán
- Entschädigungsanspruch nach § 56 Abs. 1 IFSG by: Volker Teigelkötter and Lukas Deutzmann
- China’s National People’s Congress Releases Translation of the... by: Aaron Wininger
- What to Expect From a More Aggressive OSHA in the Next 12 Months [... by: Robert S. Nichols and Amber K. Dodds
- Energy & Sustainability M&A Activity — September 2021 by: Thomas R. Burton, III and Sahir Surmeli
- California Guidance for COVID-19 Vaccination and Testing Requirements by: Laura A. Pierson-Scheinberg and Kymiya St. Pierre
- FTC Clarifies that Five FCRA Rules Apply Only to Motor Vehicle Dealers by: Hunton Andrews Kurth’s Privacy and Cybersecurity
- SEC: Investment Adviser May Not Say That It May Do What It Already Did by: Keith Paul Bishop
- Ninth Circuit Upholds Portions of California Law Prohibiting Use of... by: Jack S. Sholkoff and Spencer C. Skeen
The $3.5 trillion “Build Back Better” reconciliation spending program is... Read More >
Receiving a grand jury subpoena can be a stressful and worrisome time. It... Read More >
Emerging Legal News
THE BUSINESS OF LAW
Federal Law News
EPA's post-Maui statement on the reach of the Federal Clean Water Act has joined other regulations and guidance from the Obama and Trump Administrations on the ash heap of history.
It is anything but surprising that EPA pulled the...
On Sept. 9, 2021, the California Court of Appeal in Wesson v. Staples The Office Superstore, LLC, supported what employers have been arguing since Private Attorneys General Act (PAGA) claims became the norm in wage...
In our Summer 2021 issue, we reported on the trademark infringement lawsuit filed by artist Christophe Roberts against...
When Facebook was decided I predicted that 90 percent of courts would determine that the TCPA did not apply to callers attempting to reach non-randomly...
A few months ago, a federal appeals court ruling involving the UGG AUSTRALIA brand left some scratching their heads. The U.S. Trademark Office will generally not register a trademark (that is, recognize exclusive rights through...
Since the Supreme Court issued its seminal 2018 decision in ...
In a split 2-1 decision that likely raises more questions than it answers, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals cast some doubt upon the ability of employers to implement mandatory arbitration agreements with their employees. In...
The Federal Arbitration Act (FAA) only partially preempts California’s bar on mandatory arbitration agreements in employment, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit has held, vacating the preliminary injunction that had been in place...
State Law News
On September 15, 2021, Illinois Governor J.B. Pritzker signed into law the sweeping Climate and Equitable Jobs Act (...
As the State of California battles through a housing crisis, lawmakers are seeking creative ways to enable local governments to meet their long-term housing needs and produce housing more quickly. On September 16, 2021, Governor Newsom signed the...
A recent ruling from the Delaware Chancery Court marks the increased judicial scrutiny of the obligations of directors to fulfill their Caremark duties to oversee an effective compliance program. In the case of In...
Earlier this week, Vermont became the latest state to file a lawsuit against the major oil companies featuring allegations focusing on climate change. This is simply the most recent of more than two dozen lawsuits that have...
On August 29, 2021, a New York City Council bill ...
Doug Cornelius at Compliance Building took note of an Securities and Exchange Commission ...
On September 9, 2021, the California legislature passed SB 343, Truth in Labeling for Recyclable Materials. The bill, if signed...
September 16 Meeting
The Mississippi Gaming Commission held its regular monthly meeting on Thursday, September 16, 2021, at 9:00 a.m. at the Jackson office and via Zoom. Executive Director Jay...
California's Attorney General recently issued guidance for healthcare providers and facilities. The guidance serves as a reminder to comply with data privacy laws and with California Civil Code section 1798.82, which requires...
INTERNATIONAL LAW NEWS
China’s National People’s Congress has recently released a translation of the amended Copyright Law. The full text...Read More >
In April 2021, the EU Commission (EC) proposed a suite of new legislative...Read More >
The Financial Conduct Authority has issued a ...Read More >
The COVID-19 traffic light scenario in the states of Mexico still looks complicated, with only ...Read More >
China’s National People’s Congress has recently released a translation of the...Read More >
Out with the old EU Standard Contractual Clauses (as of September 27th)
Organizations that use...Read More >