May 14, 2021
- Proposed Bill to Substantially Increase HSR Merger Filing Fees for... by: Gregory E. Heltzer
- EPA Extends Notification Deadline for Updates to Confidential Status... by: Lynn L. Bergeson and Carla N. Hutton
- Update on Medical Marijuana in Mississippi: COURT VOIDS INITIATIVE 65 by: Slates C. Veazey and Jonathan M. Barnes
- FCC Launches Consumer Broadband Device and Service Program by: Dave Thomas
- Weekly Immigration Round-Up: Congressional Reps Propose Increased... by: William C. Menard
- Employer Considerations in Light of Updated CDC Recommendations for... by: Rebecca L. Baker and Amy Karff Halevy
- Unemployment Insurance System Update, Part II: States Opting Out of... by: Ashley Prickett Cuttino
- McDermottPlus Check-Up: May 14, 2021 by: Aaron N. Badida and Mara McDermott
- CDC: Masks Are No Longer Required in Most Settings for Vaccinated... by: Faith C. Whittaker
- SEC Staff of Division of Investment Management Issues Statement on... by: W. Thomas Conner
- Montana Enacts New Law Making Vaccination Status a Protected Class... by: Roger G. Trim and Raul Chacon, Jr.
- Lack of Actual Reduction to Practice Sinks Nucleic Acid Sequencing... by: Caitlin E. O’Connell and Elizabeth D. Ferrill
- CDC Vaccination Guidance Does Not Supersede State and Local Workplace... by: Danielle M. Bereznay and Jennifer B. Rubin
- A New Era of Export Controls Begins in the EU: The Revised EU Dual-... by: Curtis M. Dombek and Julien Blanquart
- ESG: European Commission Consults on Draft Delegated Regulation of... by: Carolyn H. Jackson and Nathaniel W. Lalone
- Can The Labor Board Force You To Reopen Your Business? by: Colleen Naumovich and David J. Pryzbylski
- Unemployment Insurance System Update, Part I: Is Comprehensive Reform... by: Ashley Prickett Cuttino
- FCA Update: New Authorized Fund Regime, RegData Data Collection... by: Carolyn H. Jackson and Nathaniel W. Lalone
- SCOTUS: FTC Has No Authority to Obtain Monetary Relief Under Section... by: Anna B. Naydonov
- Don't Bank On Using "Bank" In A URL by: Keith Paul Bishop
- EXPRESS WRITEN COSENT NOT REQUIRED: The Second Circuit Court of... by: Eric J. Troutman
- To Mask or Not to Mask, That is the Question. by: Lilian Doan Davis
- EPA Announces Launch of New Electronic Confidential Statement of... by: Heather F. Collins and Barbara A. Christianson
- What is Considered Sensitive Personal Information? by: David A. Zetoony
- Transatlantic Trade | US and Europe – Week of May 10, 2021 by: Stacy A. Swanson and Christina Economides
- NIST Plans to Update HIPAA Security Guidance – Asks for Comments by: Julia K. Kadish and Susan Ingargiola
- CMS: Long-Term Care Providers Must Report Weekly COVID-19 Vaccine Data by: Joseph F. Zielinski
- How Might Joe Biden’s Tax Proposals Affect You? by: Ann M. Rieger
- UK Government Publishes Guidance on Supply of Emissions Allowances in... by: Carolyn H. Jackson and Nathaniel W. Lalone
- Pasta Slack-Fill Case against Barilla Dismissed by: Food and Drug Law at Keller and Heckman
- New Tax on "Excessive" Compensation of Tax-Exempt... by: Alex H. Glaser and Timothy Brechtel
- FCRA Claim Survives Dismissal Where Plaintiff Alleges Defendant Did... by: Nicole Su
- Executive Order on Cybersecurity Sets Aggressive Timeline by: Andrew Tuggle and David Vance Lucas
- In-N-Out Burger Served with COVID-19 Workplace Safety and Wage... by: Colleen Naumovich and Kathleen M. Anderson
- Steps to Take When an Issue in a Divorce Settlement Is Overlooked by: Jennifer Weisberg Millner
- CFTC Announces Energy and Environmental Markets Advisory Committee... by: Kevin M. Foley
- New CDC Face Covering Guidance & What It Means for California... by: Jamerson C. Allen
- The European Commission Adopts a Proposal for a Regulation on Foreign... by: Ciara Barbu-O'Connor and Jacques Derenne
- Sixth Circuit Joins Four Other Circuits in Restricting Plaintiffs’... by: Scott W. Coyle and Lauren S. Kuley
- Consolidated Audit Trail Publishes New Roadmap to Assist Small Firms... by: Susan Light and Shelby Kost
- Australia Releases National Plastics Plan by: Packaging Law at Keller and Heckman
- CDC Updates Guidance for Fully-Vaccinated Individuals: Is it Time to... by: Adam T. Pankratz and Michael Oliver Eckard
- GDPR Processor or Controller: Merchant's Bank or an Accountant by: David A. Zetoony
- State of the Law for Business Interruption Insurance Coverage for... by: Scott N. Godes
- President Biden Proclaims His Administration’s Policy to Encourage... by: John W. Hargrove and Anne R. Yuengert
- SEC Division of Investment Management Staff Publishes Public... by: Susan Light and Shelby Kost
- Seeking to Stop Deceptive ‘MADE IN USA’ Claims, the FTC Takes Action... by: Theodore C. Max
- SEC Emerges as Main Regulator of Cryptocurrency by: Michelle Nicholson
- GDPR: Is Market Research Co. or Outsourced Call Ctr. Processor or... by: David A. Zetoony
- FINRA Shares Practices Firms Use to Protect Customers from Online... by: Susan Light and Shelby Kost
- The Ninth Circuit Finds California’s ABC Test is Not Preempted by the... by: Kyle D. Winnick
- Safe in Sound: A Reopening Checklist for the Live Entertainment... by: Samuel Cohen
- New Definition for “Postbiotics” by: Food and Drug Law at Keller and Heckman
- What Does the New CDC Guidance on Masks Mean for Employers? by: Scott T. Allen
- COVID-19: FCA Updates Webpage on Changes to Regulatory Reporting by: Carolyn H. Jackson and Nathaniel W. Lalone
- Amazon to Arbitrate Price Gouging Class Action, Leaving Open... by: Christopher E Ondeck and John R Ingrassia
- New York Enacts Workplace Safety and Health Law, Mandating New... by: Francis P. Alvarez and Jenifer M. Bologna
- COVID-19 and UK Immigration: Home Office Extends Adjusted Right to... by: Labor and Employment Practice Group Squire Patton Boggs
- A Soft Deadline for Hard Cash: American Rescue Plan Funds for North... by: E. Knox Proctor V
- Will There Be a Craft Marijuana Industry in New Jersey? by: William J. Beneduce
- IRS Issues Additional Guidance on the Tax Treatment of Dependent Care... by: Kellie M. Thomas and Brian M. Johnston
- M.D. Pennsylvania Grants Summary Judgment on SOX Retaliation Claim by: Steven J Pearlman and Pinchos (Pinny) Goldberg
- LGBTQ+ Protections Under the ACA are in Effect …Again! by: Kent Maze and Natalie M. Nathanson
- Best Practices for In-Store and Curbside Pickup by: Snehal Desai and Alyssa M. Shauer
- Acas Issues Short Advice on Long Covid (UK) by: David Whincup
- Introduction of a Patent Box by: Betsy-Ann Howe and Rebecca Bolton
- CDC Removes Mask Requirement For Fully Vaccinated In Some Settings –... by: Katharine C. Weber and Francis P. Alvarez
- CDC Updates Guidance Regarding Fully Vaccinated Individuals by: Evandro C Gigante and Harris M Mufson
May 13, 2021
- New York City Council Passes Tenant Data Privacy Act by: Hunton Andrews Kurth’s Privacy and Cybersecurity
- Relaunch of Program to Attract International Entrepreneurs by: Forrest G. Read IV
- Restaurant Revitalization Fund: Economic Relief for Restaurants by: Theodore J. Zeller III and John F. Lushis, Jr.
- SEC to Move Quickly on Proposed ESG Disclosures by: Daniel F. C. Crowley and Karishma Shah Page
- Virginia Enacts Employment Protections For Medical Use of Cannabis Oil by: Tyler S. Laughinghouse and Ryan A. Glasgow
- First USMCA Labor Complaint Promises New Challenges for U.S., Mexican... by: James M. Stone and James Verdi
- Patent Owner Tip #6 for Surviving an Instituted IPR: Using Objective... by: William A. Meunier and Courtney Herndon
- The Vineyard Wind ROD: Another Step Forward for Offshore Wind Energy... by: Sarah Y. Dicharry
- DOJ Investigates FinTechs Over PPP Loan Miscalculations by: Matthew G. Lindenbaum and Robert L. Lindholm
- International Coalition of Competition Enforcement Agencies Seek... by: Bruce D. Sokler and Joseph M. Miller
- Ransomware Criminals Leaking Troves of Data Following Double... by: Linn F. Freedman
- Immigrant Workers’ Rights – May Day Rally Held in Allentown by: Raymond G. Lahoud
- Washington State Legislature Passes Minimum Recycled Content Bill by: Packaging Law at Keller and Heckman
- Roetzel HealthLaw HotSpot: Foundations of a Solid Compliance Program... by: Ericka L. Adler and Christina M. Kuta
- Exclusive Rights: Intellectual Property — US Signals Approval of IP... by: Daniel B. Weinger and Todd B. Buck, PhD
- TCEQ’s Implementation of the NPDES Program for Oil and Gas Discharges... by: Sara M. Burgin
- Cross-Selling of Retirement Plan Data: Are These Data a Plan Asset? by: Kathryn M. Rattigan
- Biden Administration Signals Support for International Entrepreneur... by: Susan J. Cohen
- Governor Cuomo Proposes Vaccination Discrimination Law by: Nancy Gunzenhauser Popper and Christopher Shur
- Update on the State of Privacy Law in China by: Liisa M. Thomas and Julia K. Kadish
- Biden-Harris Administration Approves First Major Offshore Wind... by: Carl J. Fleming and Christopher Gladbach
- EPA Settles with Sutter County’s Bear River Supply for Selling... by: Carla N. Hutton
- Thailand Notified WTO of Four Draft Food-Contact Regulations by: Packaging Law at Keller and Heckman
- Wisconsin Legislature Expressly Authorizes Electronic Tip Declarations by: Keith E. Kopplin and Christina L. Wabiszewski
- QUICK POST-FACEBOOK UPDATE: Where are all the ATDS Rulings?? by: Eric J. Troutman
- Former Executives at University Hospital System Report the University... by: Tycko & Zavareei Whistleblower Practice Group
- An Overview of SEC Defense by: Dr. Nick Oberheiden
- U.S. Embassy in Moscow Announces Significant Reduction of Consular... by: James Nicholas Garilas and Bernhard Mueller
- How to Manage a Small Law Firm by: Kamron Sanders
- The Energizer – Volume 89 by: Buck B. Endemann and Daniel S. Cohen
- New Executive Order Takes Aim at Improving Cybersecurity by: Hunton Andrews Kurth’s Privacy and Cybersecurity
- Federal Judge Dismisses Wife’s COVID-19 Tort Suit Against Husband’s... by: Eric E. Hobbs
- Not a Close Call: Umpire Hits Home Run With a Seldom-Used Defamation... by: Thomas Kane
- EPA Begins Environmental Justice Consultations on Risk Management... by: Lynn L. Bergeson and Carla N. Hutton
- FBI Says DarkSide Targets Health, Energy and Insurance Industries by: Linn F. Freedman
- PLAYING WITH FIRE: Court Confirms No Non-Delegable Duty to Control... by: Eric J. Troutman
- U.S. Department of Justice Announces First Charges Brought Under the... by: George B. Breen and Erica McKinney
- Twelve Tips When Preparing to Sell a Family-Owned Business by: Jeffrey K. Cassin
- Federal Authorities Focusing on PPP Fraud by: William J. Powell
- Crippling Ransomware Attack on Pipeline Exposes Vulnerabilities in U.... by: Kathleen M. Porter
- Illinois Amends Employee Sick Leave Act to Cover Personal Care for... by: Kathryn Montgomery Moran and Anderson C. Franklin
- Overview of Wind Tax Credits: IRS Guidance on Beginning of... by: Jonathan Katz and Nicholas James Irmen
- A Summary of Potential Tax Increases That Would Occur Under the... by: William J. Sanders and Edward J. Hannon
- Potential Liability for Labor Issues in Mexico – Recent Developments by: Alejandro Nemo Gomez Strozzi and Jeffrey S. Kopp
- Obtaining the Benefits of a Performance Bond: Tread Carefully by: Choity R. Khan
- California Federal Court Approves FCRA Class Action Settlement by: Jesse Taylor
- Tax Court Allows Partial Deduction, Requires Partial Capitalization... by: Brian Moore
- Autonomous Bots as Personal Delivery Devices in Oklahoma by: Kathryn M. Rattigan
- When Is Less Really More for a Patent Licensee? by: Siegmund Y. Gutman and Chelsea P. Handler
- Can Importers Challenge Section 307 Detentions in Federal Court? The... by: Ludmilla L. Kasulke
- Use is ACTUALLY Measured by Benefit by: Elizabeth Teter
- Colonial Pipeline Up and Running After Five Days of Grappling with... by: Linn F. Freedman
- Now that the 55% Threshold has been Met – What This Really Means for... by: Jeffrey S. Kopp
- China’s Personal Information Protection Law (Second Draft) – What to... by: Nicholas Hiu Fung Chan
- New York Adopts Investment Adviser Representative Registration and... by: Jeff VonDruska
- President Biden Signs Executive Order to Strengthen Cybersecurity for... by: Linn F. Freedman
- Focus on ESG Will Continue to Grow Under Biden Administration by: Margaret A Dale and Michael R. Hackett
- A New Look for retail company voluntary arrangements (“CVAs”)? by: Emily Davis
- SEC Staff Issues Statement on Bitcoin Futures by: Scott H. Kimpel
- Federal Circuit Puts Patent Infringement Award/Injunction Back in the... by: Jodi Benassi
- ITC Initiates Pilot Program to Allow ALJs to Issue Interim Initial... by: Adam R. Hess
- National Construction Safety Week: Preventing Accidents on the Jobsite by: Amandeep S. Kahlon and J. David Pugh
- Under Expanded Illinois Kin Care Law, Employees Can Now Use Sick... by: Peter A. Steinmeyer and Kathleen A. Barrett
- Financial Services Act 2021: Changes Ahead by: Fergus Gallagher
- DOE Selects Projects For Its Co-Optima Initiative For Biofuel And... by: Lynn L. Bergeson
- May A Board Give All The Corporate Assets To Charity? by: Keith Paul Bishop
- CFIUS Clearance: TELUS International (Cda) Inc. and Lionbridge... by: International Trade Practice at Squire Patton Boggs
- Senate Committee Holds Hearing on Nominee for EPA Assistant... by: Government Regulation
Emerging Legal News
THE BUSINESS OF LAW
Federal Law News
Most people assume companies have certain fundamental rights, such as whether to continue operating their business in the face of challenging circumstances. Some may be surprised to learn that, on occasion, employers have been forced by the...
Along with the recent uptick of DNC and pre-recorded call cases post-Facebook there has been an interesting increase in junk fax class actions.
Yep. Junk faxes—in 2021.
Well, a new ruling out of the Second Circuit Court of...
The Northern District of Illinois recently denied a motion to dismiss a FCRA claim finding that the complaint sufficiently alleged that the defendant did not have a “permissible purpose” to access the plaintiff’s credit report for collection of a...
More than a decade ago, Congress attempted to address a novel threat that was then only in its nascent stages: identity theft. The Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act of 2003 (“FACTA”) provided consumers with several...
For decades, the practice of motor carriers arranging for freight to be transported by independent owner-operators—i.e., independent contractors who drive their own trucks—has been ubiquitous. However, this practice is now...
On April 12, 2021, the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania granted a defendant-employer’s motion for summary judgment on a SOX whistleblower retaliation claim, holding that the company demonstrated that...
As we have previously discussed, expert testimony is a critical aspect of the Patent Owner’s...
I’ve been fielding a ton of questions post-Facebook and I’ve noticed they are starting to evolve.
It started with the broad “What does Facebook mean for me?” sort of questions.
Then it became the more specific “...
State Law News
The Mississippi Medical Marijuana program will not go forward – at least not at this time. On Friday, the Mississippi Supreme Court handed down its decision in the City of Madison’s challenge to Initiative 65, Mary Hawkins Butler v. Michael...
On May 7, 2021, Montana governor Greg Gianforte signed into law Montana House Bill 702, under which Montana became the first jurisdiction to recognize an individual...
Some privacy statutes explicitly reference “sensitive” or “special” categories of personal information. While such terms, when used, often include similar data types that are generally considered as raising greater privacy risks to data subjects...
This week’s spotlight among COVID-19 related workplace litigation involves a common trend of employees...
New York employers may need to change their approach to workplace health and safety rules significantly under the New York Health and Essential Rights Act (HERO Act), signed by Governor Andrew Cuomo on May 5, 2021....
First, the good news: every municipality in North Carolina is eligible to receive a large cash infusion, up to 75% of its budget, from the American Rescue Plan (ARP).
Now, the less than good news:...
As a New Jersey resident, beer lover, and novice craft brewer, I certainly appreciate the microbrewery expansion throughout the state. Currently, New Jersey has approximately 150 microbreweries. Many of these microbreweries...
On April 29, 2021, the New York City Council passed the ...
INTERNATIONAL LAW NEWS
On May 10, 2021, the EU adopted its new, revised version of Regulation (EC) No 428/2009 (the “...
On May 7, the European Commission (Commission) published its consultation on a draft Delegated Regulation expanding Article 8 of the Taxonomy Regulation ((EU) 2020/852) by specifying the disclosure obligations associated with...
FCA Consults on New Authorized Fund Regime for Investing in Long-Term Assets
On May 7, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) published a consultation paper on a new UK-authorized fund regime for investing in long-term assets (CP21/12)....
The United States (US) marked a new stage in re-opening its economy this week, allowing vaccinated citizens to remove masks in a number of situations and opening vaccinations up to adolescents as young as 12. Meanwhile, the Biden Administration’...
On May 10, the UK Government published its guidance on the supply of emissions allowances in the UK Emissions Trading Scheme (UK ETS). The UK ETS was introduced on January 1, replacing the United Kingdom’s participation in the EU Emission Trading...
In August 2020, we wrote a ...
Is a merchant’s bank a processor or controller under the GDPR?
A controller refers to the entity that determines the “purpose and means” of how personal data will be processed. Determining the “purpose” of processing refers to deciding...