It’s Not Just for the Press Anymore. 20 Ways to Use Your Press Release to Generate a Buzz.
The press release is typically used to garner media attention and attain press coverage. To create a buzz, generate awareness and build your company reputation, you must not only remain in the eyes of the media positively and consistently; you need to communicate your message to clients, prospects, colleagues, friends, family and competitors. The more often these audiences hear your company name, the more likely they will remember the company when searching for your product or service.
Press releases can also be used to generate a buzz among your target “publics” – hence the term “public relations.” Some great ways to use a press release besides sending it to the media include:
1. Add it to your Web site and free press release listing sites
2. Post it on your blog
3. Mention it in comments on other relevant blogs
4. Link to it on your social media profiles and share it with others
5. Send it to customers and clients
6. Send it to prospects
7. Send it to vendors
8. Send it to strategic partners
9. Send it to employees
10. Send it to employees’ contacts
11. Send it to elected officials
12. Send it to trade associations
13. Place copies in your lobby
14. Register the Web URL with search engines
15. Put it in your media kit
16. Include it in your newsletter
17. Include it in your brochure
18. Hand it out at trade shows and job fairs
19. Link to “latest news” on your website in your email signature
20. Mention it in your on hold telephone message or in your voicemail
Whatever the news, there are many ways to use a press release to increase awareness of your company and its offerings, to sell your products or services, to retain current customers and generate new business. You can’t expect people to have heard the news unless you’ve proactively shared it with them.