Marysville, Ohio Hampton Inn Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Claims
An Ohio carbon monoxide poisoning outbreak was recently reported in the news. At least 13 people were hospitalized after being exposed to harmful levels of carbon monoxide (CO) at the Marysville Hampton Inn in Marysville, Ohio. The hotel is located about 30 miles northwest of Columbus, Ohio. The hotel is located at 16610 Square Drive.
According to reports, all those exposed to the carbon monoxide were in the pool area of the hotel. At approximately 5:30 pm, the first call came into 911 regarding a 2-year-old that was found unconscious at the hotel. Additional calls about unconscious people followed shortly.
The hotel was evacuated and authorities are working to determine the exact source of carbon monoxide. Nine people, including the 2-year-old, were taken by ambulance to local hospitals, with four others arriving on their own. Two others were evaluated on the scene but not hospitalized.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that can cause sudden illness and death. The most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning at the time of exposure are headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. Many people describe the symptoms as “flu-like.”
A person can begin feeling the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning at a carbon monoxide level of 50 parts per million (PPM) for eight hours. At levels of 400 parts per million, a person would feel adverse effects after approximately only eight minutes of exposure.
Carbon monoxide poisoning has significant adverse neurological effects and many can be permanent in nature. These include nausea, headaches, dizziness, memory loss, vision problems, and other cognitive damage. In extreme cases, the exposure can result in death.
The long-term outcome often depends on the level of exposure and the amount of time a person was exposed to the gas. Approximately 400 people die every year in the United States from carbon monoxide exposure and thousands of exposed people are hospitalized annually.
Each person who suffered carbon monoxide poisoning at the Marysville Hampton Inn has a potential claim for personal injuries against the hotel owner and management. These claims allege that the property owner was negligent in the maintenance of the premises. This includes having equipment that was not properly inspected or maintained and results in a leak of toxic gases.
In some cases, the negligence lies with an outside contractor in addition to the hotel. Outside contractors and maintenance people who service the pool equipment and heating systems have been held liable in other cases. A thorough investigation is required to determine the source and the responsible party.
Personal injury claims demand monetary compensation for pain and suffering, disability, loss of enjoyment of life, psychological damages, and mental anguish. When the effects of the poisoning are long-term, the compensation payout considers the lifetime damages and these cases often result in very significant settlements. Claims for medical and hospital expenses can also be made.
Those persons sickened by the unsafe levels of CO have several types of legal rights and may have legal recourse. It is important to hire a lawyer that specializes in carbon monoxide poisoning cases.