Laura Foote Reiff has more than 32 years of experience representing businesses and organizations in the business immigration and compliance field. She is also a business immigration advocate and has long chaired prominent business immigration coalitions. Laura is Co-Founder of GT’s Business and Immigration and Compliance Group which she co-led since 1999. She currently chairs the Northern Virginia/Washington D.C. Immigration and Compliance Practice. Laura is also Co-Managing Shareholder of the Northern Virginia Office of GT, a position she has held since 2010. As a global leader in the business immigration community, Laura has served on the Boards of the American Immigration Lawyers Association, the American Immigration Council, the National Immigration Forum and is currently the President of the America is Better Board.
Laura advises corporations on a variety of compliance-related issues, particularly related to Form I-9 eligibility employment verification matters. Laura has been involved in audits and internal investigations and has successfully minimized monetary exposure as well as civil and criminal liabilities on behalf of her clients. She develops immigration compliance strategies and programs for both small and large companies. Laura performs I-9, H-1B and H-2B compliance inspections during routine internal reviews, while performing due diligence (in the context of a merger, acquisition or sale) or while defending a company against a government investigation.
Laura represents many businesses in creating, managing and using "Regional Centers" that can create indirect jobs toward the 10 new U.S. jobs whose creation can give rise to EB-5 permanent residence for investment. She coordinates this work with attorneys practicing in securities law compliance, with economists identifying "targeted employment areas" and projecting indirect job creation, and with licensed securities brokers coordinating offerings. She also represents individual investors in obtaining conditional permanent residence and in removing conditions from permanent residence.
Laura's practice also consists of managing business immigration matters and providing immigration counsel to address the visa and work authorization needs of U.S. and global personnel including professionals, managers and executives, treaty investors/ traders, essential workers, persons of extraordinary ability, corporate trainees, and students. She is an immigration policy advocacy expert and works on immigration reform policies.
More Legal and Business Bylines From Laura Foote Reiff
- Business Immigration Law and Policy in 2021 – A look in the Crystal Ball - (Posted On Tuesday, November 10, 2020)
- New DOL H-1B Rule - (Posted On Wednesday, October 07, 2020)
- Congress Passes and the President Signs the Continuing Resolution Keeping Government and Vital Programs such as EB-5 and E-Verify Operational Thru Dec. 11, 2020 – New Premium Processing Directive - (Posted On Friday, October 02, 2020)
- 9th Circuit Deals a Blow to Certain Immigrants Holding TPS Status – Business Calls on Congress to Act - (Posted On Thursday, September 17, 2020)
- ICE Oversight of US Universities, Educational Institutions and Vocational Programs through the SEVP - (Posted On Tuesday, September 15, 2020)
- June 22 Immigration Proclamation Challenged by Business Organizations and Plaintiffs in New Lawsuit - (Posted On Wednesday, July 22, 2020)
- Israeli Business Immigration to the United States in the Time of COVID-19 - (Posted On Wednesday, May 06, 2020)
- Immigration Updates: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Impacts on Foreign Nationals - (Posted On Monday, March 30, 2020)
- U.S. Extends Travel Restrictions to U.K. and Ireland – Department of Homeland Security Outlines New Re-Entry Process for U.S. Citizens, U.S. Legal Permanent Residents and Other Exempted Individuals from Certain European Countries, China, and Iran, includi - (Posted On Sunday, March 15, 2020)
- U.S. Immigration and Coronavirus Disease 2019 – Facts, Thoughts, Questions and Answers - (Posted On Tuesday, March 10, 2020)
The National Law Review names Greenberg Traurig, LLP a Go-To Thought Leader in the field of immigration law for their ongoing coverage of the latest EB-5 classification news and updates. In 2022, Greenberg Traurig authors have written on topics such as Congress’ EB-5 reform, the EB-5 regional center extension, and the EB-5 adjudication process. Regular contributors include (but are not limited to): Kate Kalmykov, Jennifer Hermansky, Dillon R. Colucci, Laura Foote Reiff, and others.