So You Want to Test Your Employees: Pitfalls and Critical Considerations
Getting back to work is the primary focus for states, business and individuals. Testing employees may be able to speed up the “back to work” process and promote the safe return of employees. But testing employees for COVID-19 requires businesses to understand and navigate the logistics, clinical and FDA testing environment, privacy concerns, impact on employment decisions, costs and the need for relationships with laboratories. Most of these issues are new under COVID-19, but there are parallels and existing regulatory structures that apply to this environment.
How does a business get started with testing employees?
- Understand the types of tests available, clinical and regulatory limitations, and how testing is obtained
- Ensure testing, and disclosure of results, complies with federal and state privacy rules
- Establish testing policies and decision-making in compliance with employment regulations and best practices
- Be mindful of the changing testing environment and potential liability
- Explore options for relationships with laboratories and issues to address in those relationships.