Mike, chair of the Environmental Law Practice Area, handles all aspects of New Jersey and federal environmental law, including permitting and litigation, CAFRA, sewage disposal and water supply, wetlands, riparian (tidelands) law, solid waste, flood hazard areas, siting of energy and other industrial facilities, site remediation, Pinelands, Highlands, cultural resources, stormwater, wastewater planning, water and air pollution. He also appears before planning and zoning boards and has handled complex construction litigation matters.
Mike is environmental counsel to the New Jersey Builders Association and general counsel to the Shore Builders Association of Central New Jersey. The Environmental Law Department authored the environmental law section of The New Jersey Land Use and Environmental Law Treatise and Mike co-authors the New Jersey Water Law Survey updates to the Waters and Water Rights Treatise.
He has been involved in major litigation both before the New Jersey courts and the Office of Administrative Law and has argued before the New Jersey Supreme Court and Appellate Division. Mike has served as an expert witness in cases before the New Jersey Superior Court and the U.S. District Court.
More Legal and Business Bylines From Michael J. Gross
- The Uniform Public Expression Protection Act: New Jersey’s Recently Enacted Anti-SLAPP Legislation - (Posted On Friday, September 15, 2023)
- U.S. Supreme Court Defines Regulated Freshwater – Wetlands Under the Clean Water Act - (Posted On Saturday, June 10, 2023)
- NJDEP Publishes New PFAS Standards - (Posted On Wednesday, October 19, 2022)
- NJDEP Announces FHA Emergency Rulemaking - (Posted On Wednesday, May 25, 2022)
- The DEP Must Adequately Explain its Administrative Decisions to Avoid Remand - (Posted On Wednesday, December 08, 2021)
- Public Health Emergency’s End Sees DEP Public Comment Periods Scaled Back - (Posted On Wednesday, June 23, 2021)
- In Unusual Move, Developer Is Awarded Attorneys’ Fees and Costs Over Town’s Settlement Breach - (Posted On Thursday, June 17, 2021)
- NJDEP Adopts Amended Remediation Standards - (Posted On Thursday, June 10, 2021)
- Governor Signs Law Ending Public Health Emergency - (Posted On Tuesday, June 08, 2021)
- NJDEP Further Extends Site Remediation Timeframes - (Posted On Wednesday, February 10, 2021)
The National Law Review names Giordano, Halleran & Ciesla, P.C. and authors Michael J. Gross, Marc D. Policastro, Paul H. Schneider, Steven M. Dalton, David J. Miller, and Afiyfa H. Ellington as Go-To Thought Leaders in the field of State and Local Law. The firm’s May 2022 article, “NJDEP Announces FHA Emergency Rulemaking,” gained considerable traction for its coverage of the latest developments in New Jersey flood hazard rulemaking, demonstrating the firm’s impressive depth of knowledge with their timely and relevant thought leadership.
Giordano, Halleran & Ciesla’s New Jersey Environmental Law & Land Use practice group is recognized as a Go-To Thought Leader for their coverage and analysis of New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (“NJDEP”) permit extensions, including extensions for remediation activities, environmental compliance updates due to the COVID-19 public health emergency, amendments to surface water quality and other environmental standards and statutory and common law environmental cleanup claims. Giordano, Halleran & Ciesla's Environmental and Land Use team provides timely regulatory and litigation updates which are invaluable to construction, real estate professionals and other parties interested in New Jersey environmental standard. Giordano Environmental and Land Use Practice Group legal editors include Michael J. Gross, Marc D. Policastro, Paul H. Schneider, Steven M. Dalton, David J. Miller and Afiyfa H. Ellington.